Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Moment of Zen

Or, okay, not zen, but something else entirely. Folks, today I decided to take the whole day off from any kind of responsible labor. I went to the gym, did an energizing seven miles, and devoted the rest of my afternoon to reading Almanac of the Dead and going to see the new Harry Potter film. I'm not sure whether or not this latter should qualify as a guilty pleasure, but I don't feel particularly guilty about it. Q and I have thoroughly discussed, and I think I'm pretty much on top of, the many problems with the Potter and the many more reasons why the phenom is simply annoying. Nonetheless, it's a pretty good story and I like keeping up with such things when possible. If I was a Potter nerd to the caliber of, say, BEM, I would have no doubt seen the film opening night. As it was, I waited until I had an afternoon of naughtiness away from my place of wage labor. I hoped the 3:50 showing wouldn't be TOO packed with bored adolescents whiling away a summer afternoon in the old, dark movie theater downtown. Here's the moment of zenishness: The theater was dead. I asked, anxiously, at the counter whether there was indeed a 3:50 Harry Potter and was assured that there was. I had not plugged two dollars into the parking meter for nothing, and I had been duped by those pesky parentheticals before. B and Q will no doubt recall the unfortunate Grindhouse event of the Spring of 07. Anyway, I bought my ticket, and the ticketseller promptly got on her walkie-talkie to announce that there was "one for Harry Potter," adding as an aside that I would be the only one in there. I think, though I'm not at all sure, that I stopped short of clapping my hands at this unexpected and very welcome news. I went into the theater, which was delightfully silent, and took my time selecting the perfect seat, dead center and I bit toward the front. I'm serious. It was something like pure, unadulterated joy. I was as tickled as a kid at a surprise birthday party. Right after I sat down, they started the movie. Then, after about five minutes, two women came in and sat in the back of the theater. They proceeded to do the commenting-on-everything-obvious thing that people like to do in theaters. "Yes," you want to say, "she really really is a bitch." "Oh my, I suppose that is the character's shoe left tellingly behind the bed." Whatever, it wasn't too bad, really. It was a little bit like having my lollipop stolen and was completely what I deserved.

8 comments:

Bourbon Enthusiast Monthly said...

I'm glad you had a great time at the movies, and you two are really adorable for the fact that you feel guilty for going to see a movie on a warm summer day instead of toiling for two and a half hours on your writing.

Also, for the record, I still have not seen Harry Potter 5. And yet you have. PLUS, you had to talk C into going to see it with you. Who's the Potter Nerd now, huh?!

B said...

As I said on BEM--what's with the sudden interest in HP. I say "sudden" because I just don't believe you were ever into it. And you went to see this OVER Ratatouille?

asenath said...

Who said C was with me, BEM? I'm a rogue. I swim alone. But, yes, the guilt was still mildly a factor. I would still submit that YOU are the bigger HP nerd. I have only read the first three books and am constantly declining generous offers to loan me the remaining ones so I can catch up. I would do so, at this point, only under the most severe duress, namely that which would come from my adorable nieces and nephews. Why labor through all that text when I can just watch the movie? Oops. Did I just say that?

B--Indeed, not sudden. Also, not a big interest. Just a minor flirtation. And yes, OVER Ratatouille.

B said...

Sigh. OK, then. Ginger solidarity with Hermione is it? Then I'm fine with it.

asenath said...

Um, if you want to have Ginger solidarity with the characters, I'm afraid the Weasely family is a much better bet. H.G. is a brunette by all accounts, though the actress is a bit fair. Not to quibble or anything. Oh yeah, and I'm SO not a fan. I just like to keep up with the movies. You know my passion for sequels, right?

queercat said...

Yikes--you guys just left me eating dust in your nerd-trail.

B said...

I'm NOT a nerd in this one! I didn't even know which character had the red hair!

Bourbon Enthusiast Monthly said...

I think the fact that we all just had a big, sloppy, nerd-slap-fight in these comments speaks volumes about how nerdy we are.

Also, why aren't you going to see "Ratatouille," besides ignoring me and my constant advice on what movies to go see (coughInlandEmpirecough)?

You love food. You love Patton Oswalt. You love Patton Oswalt and Brian Dennehy in the same movie. So, what gives?