Monday, September 1, 2008

A Little Whining, A Lot of Procrastination

One week into school and already everything is in full swing. I, of course, am still struggling to get my head around it. This is my first day off in seven days between teaching the things blowing up at the coop. I know everyone can relate to the overworking so I won't over-whine.

I should be revising my fourth chapter, but I really just want to take this day--JUST this day--to read, go on a bike ride (see how naughty? I'm not even planning to go to the gym! This could change, though, if I get caught in an unexpected but overwhelming wave of self-hating nausea. Wish me luck), cook, watch tv on the internets. We still have a bunch of beets from Mama and Papa BEM's incredibly generous bounty. Even after Q and I ate about a gallon of Gazborscht (don't ask. It's an Isa thing). Now I really want to make this beet and fennel salad. The coop used to make on that I adored and would eat until I thought I was going to die. The latter mostly because beets are so perniciously red that they retain the vibrant scarlet hue all the way through the intestines. I'm thinking about this recipe. Looks good, right? We also have a bag of pears and apples that Q's friend dropped off, and no bloody room in our refrigerator (because of before mentioned bounty), so a crisp seems in order. I made a peach crisp earlier in the summer only to be forced to recognize that I don't dig so much on soft fruit crisps. Give me an apple or a pear, any day.

What else? I have to meet with a student on Wednesday to ask him to control his emotional performance. He was extremely hostile (to the point of almost berating me in class for having him read this essay) to the suggestion that perhaps Batman/Joker dynamic has homophobic undertones. I think, really, that there could be any homoeroticism in this narrative was so offensive to him that he almost couldn't speak rationally at all. So, I, paragon of impartiality and objectivity, am going to sit down with him and make some things very clear. I hope it goes well. Wish me luck, again. I was kind of panicking about this on Saturday, having flashbacks to that most horrible of classes, dreading a repeat experience. Thus the early meeting. I'm hoping to nip this in the bud before it ruins the class.

1 comment:

Bourbon Enthusiast Monthly said...

Pictures and explicit details of the borscht and everything else made of the wonderful bounty, please! Also, between the red of the beets and the purple of the blueberries, it sounds like you guys are eating an Almodovar film for dinner every night.

Also, is the essay on the Batman/Joker dynamic on its homoeroticism, or homophobia? I can certainly see it being homophobic.