Friday, November 7, 2008

Struggling with Dismay

I write this as I'm preparing to go teach the second part of the fourth episode of Black.White. I've always thought of the show as not particularly progressive or interesting, just another one of these narratives about how much skin color contributes to and in part determines the way that the world interacts with us. Every decade or so cranks out at least one because we remain, in some fundamental way, unable to see things from perspectives other than our own. I was really surprised, in perhaps an incredibly naive way, by how hostile and defensive a few of my students were to a scene in which the black father on the show talks to his son about why he shouldn't be okay with the n-word. Immediately after, my confronto student, who I've written about before, started bellowing about how the father was standing in the way of racial progress. He started throwing the word around and talking about how ridiculous it was. Apparently, we should all use racial slurs freely as a way of taking their power away from them. Is this the post-racial world I keep hearing about? My second class, of course, was completely different. We managed to have a calm conversation about the show and how it engages with ideas about race in the U.S. today. We were able to talk about how the show frames the issues and what it's doing rhetorically. In my first class, I ended up asking my confrontos to not be so defensive. Now I don't know what will happen today. I've long said that I'll settle for anything short of overt hostility. Is it wrong that I'm relieved this is our last discussion-oriented day? I just hope I can make it semi-productive for the other students. Wish me luck.

Basically, I guess it's been a rough week. The Tuesday night high followed by a steadily increasing sense of dismay. At prop 8 and the other anti-gay rights legislation. At my co-worker who was furious that a non-citizen was elected to the presidency. At the security guard who blandly affirmed that he doesn't care about the 800,000 people who have lost their jobs this year and just generally doesn't feel much compassion for others. His only regret is that there isn't another Bush to put in office for another 8 years. That's how happy he is with the way things are. This from an ex-marine who probably doesn't make much more than 20,000 a year running necking teenaged couples out of mall parking lots after hours. I'll have something nice to say next time, I'm sure of it.

No comments: