Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Applications, Classes, Pilates

Things aren't so bad. I've been working on the couch for several hours now. Mina is curled up sleeping by my side but apparently happy to wake up now and then when I give her some love. I've been trying to compose my five page dissertation summary for the dreaded CAS fellowship application. I wasn't quite prepared for how difficult it is to do so in five pages for readers who are unfamiliar with your discipline but whom you presumably must impress with the significance of your project. Q, please don't panic, you know I draft long and interminably. It isn't done and won't be. For a long time. So hard. That, coupled with the beginning of the new semester this week, is the less fun part of the week. I've only seen my students once, and it's much too early to get anything like a sense of how things will shake out. They're not yet really laughing at my jokes, but this is to be expected. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. That said, having two of my best students from my last comp class in this one is making me more hopeful than I would otherwise have a right to be at this early date.

My only other news--and brace yourself for how exciting this is--is that I went to my first pilates class last night and totally loved it. Some things were really hard and others were really easy and I could seriously do without the wall of mirrors and the weird sense that the whole thing is so gendered. You have to imagine me and a bunch of tall, thin girls, rolling around on mats and practicing our "pilates 'v'". I'm not even going to tell you all what that is because it's more fun that way. Sounds nasty, doesn't it? Really, though, it's totally hard on your core, which is exactly what I need. I hate working my abs, so this is excellent and included in my gym membership. If I can get my shit together enough tomorrow, I'm going to go to the yoga class. This will surely be me with another bunch of tall, thin girls, rolling around on the floor and stretching or something.

Wow. I really had nothing to say. To distract you from that annoyance, have some baby red pandas, Q's favorite. Almost as adorable as Mina, I'd have to say.
Almost.

4 comments:

B said...

Can you watch Rock of Love through the "V"?

queercat said...

I've always suspected that those classes are really just a bunch of women dancing around waving scarves in the air.

I think I would HATE having to work out next to a bunch of het, prissy girls (the kind who work out in make-up) who are a size 2 yet somehow much, much stronger than I am. The whole thing seems like an argument for my extinction. I think I'll avoid.

Bourbon Enthusiast Monthly said...

Sigh. I've barely gotten through the first episode of "Rock of Love 2." It's no fun without the group commentary. I was barely able to watch the shows the first time around.

queercat said...

I'm rooting for Peyton, but she'll never win. I think we all know why.

Yep.