Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Family Antics, part 1

Speaking with my sister a few minutes ago, I had an extremely misguided moment when, searching for a topic of conversation, I asked her if she was planning to vote in the primaries on Super Tuesday. She said no. Even more misguidedly, I asked her if she had been following the election campaigns at all, and she said she had and that if she was going to vote, it would be to elect anyone who isn't Hillary Clinton. (For a moment, I had a flashback to a similar discussion about the relative merits of John Kerry vs George Bush in which she stated flatly, and with no reference to any of the issues at all, that she thought Kerry was not a nice man. She just didn't find him likeable, and Bush, at least, is likeable.) Trying a deflect a little, I joked that anyone would be better than Bush. Then she proceeded to tell me that she thinks Hillary is horrible, mean, mud-slinging, a "super negative person," and ambitious. Additionally, it worries her that Bill has spent so much time campaigning with his wife because she [my sister] can't imagine anything worse than having Bill Clinton in the White House again.


Instead of screaming at her, I thought I'd blog instead. Enjoy.

4 comments:

queercat said...

Why doesn't she just vote for Obama?

UGGGGH! She makes me totally crazy! I can't even write about it.

asenath said...

Yes, the line I forgot to mention, probably because I had temporary, willed amnesia about it, was that she said of H, "she's everything I hate about women." Just in case you were trying to give this little exchange the benefit of the doubt. There it is.

B said...

But she doesn't like Obama, right? She's voting Romney/McCain, yes?

Her douchebag husband has taken over her miiiiiiind, which frustrates me because it reminds me of my brother and his parroting of the leader of the Twelve Tribes. It's important not to think of this as just about Hilary--it's obviously about Democrats. But yes, this is the old "she's too shrill, assertive..." tactic. You should ask her what she thinks of Ann Coulter. Seriously. Coulter is more take-charge, assertive, etc. in her rhetoric and certainly embodies everything "negative" too. If she likes Coulter, point out her inconsistent argument and she what she says. Call her now! Report back immediately! Time's a wastin'....

Bourbon Enthusiast Monthly said...

Did she mention a particular affinity for any of the Republicans, though? I think the real advantage of this election is that conservatives are not thrilled with their choices, which is a familiar feeling for some of us (coughGoreKerrycough). She may hate Hillary, but it doesn't sound like she's all that engaged with any of the alternatives, and I'm guessing won't be too motivated to get out and vote in November.