Saturday, February 24, 2007

I, Mudgeon


So, yeah. It was a day of fighting off my own inner 'mudgeon. She's a bit singular, as the 'mudgeons tend to be, considered narrowly. Considered broadly, it is her imagination of her singularity that constitutes the very soul of the 'mudgeonliness. Permit me sloppily to quote one of my favorite wide-mouthed vixens: "Every schmo as the fantasy that the world revolves around the them. It rains. A car crash stops traffic. You say 'How could this happen to me.'" How indeed. C and I were just talking about these candid interviews that various shows (remember Street Smarts anyone? . . . um... anyone?) air where a camera crew asks seemingly common sense questions to people on the street, and we all get to chuckle at how shockingly ill-informed the American public is. It's a fun game, and helps cultivate a bit of the 'mudge in even your average, similarly shockingly-informed TV audience.

Anyway. Yes. A day for battling my 'mudge. Made all the more difficult by challenging myself to read the majority of Said's Culture and Imperialism. (On a mostly unrelated side note, for some reason I find this incredibly difficult to say. The syllables want to glide together in my mouth, inevitably coming out something like "cultulal imperialism") I almost made it, too. I let my self stop a few minutes ago to make dinner, rationalizing my slacking by owning silently up the fact that after 200+ pages, nothing the honorable Said wrote was any longer penetrating my rock hard 'mudgeonly cranium. The last forty pages will have to wait until another day.

What else? I have no idea, except that the bandying about of this film keep bringing to mind another film with a structurally similar title. If you haven't seen it, you might want to.

5 comments:

Bourbon Enthusiast Monthly said...

Do you think we're feeding off of each other and only increasing our 'mudgeonliness? (yeah, I made that up; the fuck you gonna do about it?) Like a bitter, angry circle jerk? Or like how women have that secret superpower to sync up their cycles? That is a superpower, right?

B said...

I was never able to find this film. Where did you get this pic? This sounds like another movie night--we're waiting!

lorna said...

i loved Street Smarts - it made me feel like a supra-genius.

let the mudgeon out. let it be free and mudgeonly in the garden of vaginas. maybe you can make it do the weeding. fuck the metaphor is getting away from me. i have no clue what that means....

queercat said...

"Unfortunately, most college kids these days aren't coming from any place-they seem to ask the same kind of questions over and over again."

and...

"There will come a day when Anne Heche will be straight again."

Sandra Bernhard is a fucking visionary!

geoffreycrayon said...

Bush got reelected. 'Mudgeonliness? Warranted forever.

And I also enjoyed Street Smarts.